Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ministry

Last night I settled down on the couch to enjoy the latest issue of Adventist Frontiers. I always enjoy the mission stories from around the world.

My favorite in this issue was the story of "Ishmael," a Muslim man in Turkey who was drawn to the missionary and his message. Eventually one day after worshiping with them for some time he was invited to attend a baptism service. He was very moved and approached the missionary afterward and said, "I want to be next. I also want to be a true son of Abraham."

I was moved by this and other stories and found myself wishing I could be a part of something that exciting. Then the Lord gently reminded me that I am already involved in a similar ministry. My husband does Bible work every Sabbath and I always work alongside him. It is often discouraging, and it can take a long time to see results. However, I realized that the missionaries work in even more difficult circumstances and see even fewer results. I realized that I shouldn't wish for a different field of labor unless I am willing to serve in the one where I have been called.

With that thought in mind I went into our work this afternoon with more willingness than has sometimes been the case. We were very excited to actually have someone to give a Bible study to today. As we sat down to begin, the man asked earnestly. "I have a question. How can I get baptized?" It was the exact experience I had read about and wished for last night. God showed me that He does have a place for me in His work.

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment